Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.61Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $17.87Trending at AU $22.16
- AU $43.35Trending at AU $44.65
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $37.27
- AU $25.64Trending at AU $34.27
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.66
- AU $36.24Trending at AU $40.24
About this product
- DescriptionMike Ladd is the best-kept secret in Australian poetry. It's t that he's t well kwn; he is. It's more that few fully appreciate his range and uniqueness as a poet living both in the Australian mindscape, and distinctly outside it. His sequence Ninety-One Hotel Rooms shows the consolidations of the wanderer, the merging of the familiar (a room is a room is a room), with change and cultural shift. The mediating voice of self is always there, but also under pressure. He is a poet formally on edge, seeking to bring order to disorder, and disorder to the polite management of any poem. It is t surprising to find he was in a punk band in his early days, and that he's a radio producer these days. Ladd is an icoclast and icon maker all at once. The treasure among treasures in the diverse and pluralistic collection is the Anakhronismos sequence, which would have to stand as one of the most individual and challenging sequences in Australian poetry. It's like a convergence of Lehmann, Beaver, and even Laurie Duggan's Epigrams of Martial . And then there's that classic, 3 Studies of a Rotary Hoist , de rigueur for anyone trying to unpick Australian nationalism, parochialism, and a concomitant sense of irony. Ladd is a larrikin and a poetry tactician. Experimental, formal, multi-voiced. And often in the same poem. This is the book of the year.
- Author BiographyMike Ladd is a poet, radio playwright and broadcaster. His first book of poems The Crack in the Crib was published in 1984 and followed by Picture's Edge and Close to Home. He was born in Berkeley, California in 1959. After studying philosophy and English at Adelaide University he became the singer of the punk band The Lounge. He has travelled in Africa, recording the traditional poet praise-singers known as les griot and is currently presenter and producer of PoeticA on Radio National.
- Author(s)Mike Ladd
- PublisherSalt Publishing
- Date of Publication15/04/2003
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationApplecross, WA
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- First Published2003
- ImprintSalt Publishing
- Out-of-print date02/08/2016
- Weight212 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.