All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRough Crossings is the astonishing story of the struggle to freedom by thousands of African-American slaves who fled the plantations to fight behind British lines in the American War of Independence. With gripping, powerfully vivid story-telling, Simon Schama follows the escaped blacks into the fires of the war, and into freezing, inhospitable Nova Scotia where many who had served the Crown were betrayed in their promises to receive land at the war's end. Their fate became entwined with British abolitionists: inspirational figures such as Granville Sharp, the flute-playing father-figure of slave freedom, and John Clarkson, the 'Moses' of this great exodus, who accompanied the blacks on their final rough crossing to Africa, where they hoped that freedom would finally greet them.
- Author BiographySimon Schama is University Professor of Art History and History at Columbia University in New York. His books have been translated into 15 languages and give an idea of his range: Citizens: a Chronicle of the French Revolution, Landscape and Memory, Rembrandt's Eyes, A History of Britain, The Power of Art,The American Future: A History and, most recently, Scribble, Scribble, Scribble: Writings on Politics, Churchill and My Mother. His art columns for the New Yorker won the national magazine Award for criticsim and journalism and his journalism has appeared regularly in the Guardian and Financial Times where he is Contributing Editor. He has written and presented forty films for BBC2 on subjects as diverse as Tolstoy, American politics and John Donne and won an Emmy for The Power of Art. Simon Schama was awarded a CBE in 2001.
- Author(s)Simon Schama
- PublisherVintage Publishing
- Date of Publication02/04/2009
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content NoteIllustrations (some col.), maps
- Weight399 g
- Width125 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine34 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $3.73Trending at AU $7.41
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.41
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $78.37
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $24.20
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.15
- AU $37.05Trending at AU $39.70
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.