All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA definitive global survey of the interaction of race, ethnicity, nationalism and politics, this handbook blends theoretically grounded, rigorous analysis with empirical illustrations, to provide a state-of-the art overview of the contemporary debates on one of the most pervasive international security challenges today. The contributors to this volume offer a 360-degree perspective on ethnic conflict: from the theoretical foundations of nationalism and ethnicity, to the causes and consequences of ethnic conflict, and to the various strategies adopted in response to it. Without privileging any specific explanation of why ethnic conflict happens at a specific place and time or why attempts at preventing or settling it might fail or succeed, the Routledge Handbook of Ethnic Conflict enables readers to gain better insights into such defining moments in post-Cold War international history as the disintegrations of the Soviet Union and Yugoslavia and their respective consequences and the gecide in Rwanda, as well as the relative success of conflict settlement efforts in Northern Ireland, Macedonia, and Aceh. By contributing to understanding the varied and multiple causes of ethnic conflicts and to learning from the successes and failures of its prevention and settlement, the Handbook makes a powerful case that ethnic conflicts are neither unavoidable r unresolvable, but rather that they require careful analysis and thoughtful and measured responses.
- Author BiographyKarl Cordell is Professor of Politics at the University of Plymouth. He co-edits the journals Ethnopolitics and Civil Wars and has an extensive publication record in the fields of ethnopolitics, German politics and the politics of ethnicity in Central Europe. Stefan Wolff is Professor of International Security at the University of Birmingham. Frequently advising governments and international organisations, he specialises in the management of international security challenges, especially in relation to conflict and post-conflict reconstruction. Among his publications are more than a dozen books and over twenty journal articles and book chapters. He is co-editor of the journals Ethnopolitics and Civil Wars.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication09/08/2012
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note5 black & white tables
- Weight566 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byKarl Cordell,Stefan Wolff
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.32
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.53
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.66
- AU $12.82Trending at AU $13.83
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $38.16
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.69
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.51
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.