Excerpt from Rules of the South Carolina Society, Established at Charleston, A. D. 1736, Chartered 17th May, 1751: Revised 23rd April, 1889 After this association had continued for some time, several persons who had a kwledge of the French tongue became members, that they might improve themselves in that language, other being yet allowed to be spoken in the Society, and debates would sometimes naturally arise, they found it necessary to have a presiding officer and two constables; but their number being small, it was agreed that their Steward should be the President, and be addressed by the title of Mr. Steward. These regulations continued until the first of September, 1737, when they made further rules, dated the regular commencement of the Club from that day, admitted the English language to be spoken, and adopted the name of the Carolina Club. About the Publisher Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at www.forgottenbooks.com This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art techlogy to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works.