All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat did Charles Dickens savour in punch, Thomas Jefferson eat in omelettes, Queen Victoria sip in navy grog, and the Kamehameha Kings of Hawaii drink straight? What helped spark the American Revolution, was used as currency in Australia, was targeted by the Temperance Movement, and is still a sacramental offering among voodoo worshippers? The answer is rum, whose colourful, secret history is described in Rum: A Global History. This book chronicles the evolution of rum, from a raw spirit concocted for slaves five hundred years ago, to a beverage savoured by conisseurs. It charts the history of the drink, showing how this once-humble spirit has become a worldwide phemen over the last five hundred years. Rum: A Global History shows how rum has left its mark on religious rituals, popular songs and other cultural landmarks, describing a far more varied and interesting history of the drink than is commonly kwn. Also included in the book are recipes for sweet and savoury rum dishes, obscure but delicious rum drinks, and illustrations of rum memorabilia from the earliest days to the tiki craze of the 1950s. Costing less than a bottle of good rum, Rum: A Global History will provide satisfaction for far longer, with ne of the hangover, guaranteed. The book will delight all who enjoy the beverage and wish to learn more of its heritage, as well as those who enjoy a fast-paced, well-written history of food.
- Author BiographyRichard Foss is a food historian and journalist. He has written for many publications including Time Out magazine, Easy Reader Newspaper and Los Angeles CityBeat, and has contributed to Food Cultures of the World Encyclopaedia (2011).
- Author(s)Richard Foss
- PublisherReaktion Books
- Date of Publication01/05/2012
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Series TitleEdible
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintReaktion Books
- Content Note34 colour illustrations, 53 black & white illustrations
- Weight327 g
- Width120 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine16 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $31.69Trending at AU $33.69
- AU $19.98Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $26.67Trending at AU $29.78
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.