All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAward-winning songwriter and pioneering guitarist Bruce Cockburn has been shaped by politics, protest, romance, and spiritual discovery. He has toured the globe, visiting far-flung places such as Guatemala, Mali, Mozambique, Afghanistan, and Nepal, performing and speaking out on diverse issues from native rights and land mines to the environment and Third World debt. His journeys have been reflected in his music and evolving styles: folk, jazz, blues, rock, and world beat. Drawing from his experiences, he continues to create memorable songs about his ever-expanding universe of wonders.As an artist with thirty-one albums, Cockburn has won numerous awards and the devotion of legions of fans across America and his native Canada. Yet the man himself has remained a mystery. In this memoir, Cockburn invites us into his private world and takes us on a lively cultural and musical tour through the late twentieth century, sharing his Christian convictions, his personal relationships, and the social and political activism that has defined him and has both invigorated and incited his fans.
- Author BiographyBruce Cockburn was born in 1945 in Ottawa, Ontario. He began his solo career with his self-titled album in 1970, and his extensive repertoire of musical styles and skillfully crafted lyrics have been covered by such diverse artists as Jerry Garcia, Chet Atkins, Judy Collins, Elbow, Barenaked Ladies, Jimmy Buffett, and k.d. lang. Cockburn has been inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame and the Order of Canada, and he has been awarded thirteen Juno Awards as well as the Allan Slaight Humanitarian Spirit Award. A devoted and deeply respected activist, he has worked with organizations such as Oxfam, Amnesty International, Doctors Without Borders, Friends of the Earth, and USC Canada. He lives in San Francisco. Greg King is a writer living in Northern California. His writing has earned four commendations, including two Lincoln Steffens Investigative Journalism Awards. He is also an accomplished photographer, with images appearing in Newsweek, Smithsonian, Rolling Stone and several other publications.
- Author(s)Bruce Cockburn
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers Inc
- Date of Publication04/11/2014
- SubjectAutobiography: The Arts
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Weight862 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine41 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.21
- AU $25.01Trending at AU $27.39
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.