Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $26.95Trending at AU $27.28
- AU $25.33Trending at AU $25.81
- AU $81.80Trending at AU $84.91
- AU $69.00Trending at AU $71.02
- AU $7.80Trending at AU $8.36
- AU $9.82Trending at AU $13.79
- AU $31.38Trending at AU $33.45
About this product
- DescriptionCaptain Robert Barclay was a Scottish long distance runner and walker of the early 19th century kwn as 'the celebrated pedestrian'. Running One Thousand Miles brings Barclay's story to children's historical fiction, providing the excitement of what was an actual event many years ago. In 1809 Barclay accepted the challenge to walk and run one thousand miles in one thousand hours, on Newmarket Heath, with prize money of one thousand guineas if he achieved the target. However, he was only permitted to complete one mile in each hour and each hour had to have one completed mile. This meant that he would need to walk twenty four miles a day for almost six weeks. Fatigue and sore legs as well as a lack of sleep made the target difficult. Not to mention there were others keen to set obstacles in his way in order to make the competition more difficult. Barclay would need careful organisation and strong guards if he was to succeed...Running One Thousand Miles is a thrilling historical story that will be enjoyed by children aged 8-12.
- Author BiographyRobin Campbell was a primary school teacher, subsequently a head teacher and then Professor of Primary Education. During that time he wrote fifteen books, including Literacy from home to School Reading with Alice and Reading stories with young children, about children developing as readers and writers. Now he has changed genre and writes children's fiction. Robin lives in Essex.
- Author(s)Robin Campbell
- PublisherTroubador Publishing
- Date of Publication05/02/2015
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Place of PublicationLeicester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Reading AgeFrom 8
- Interest AgeFrom 8
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.