All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIt is t so easy to take the long view of socioecomic history when you are participating in a revolution. For that reason, Russian ecomist Yegor Gaidar put aside an early version of this work to take up a series of government positions--as Minister of Finance and as Boris Yeltsin's acting Prime Minister--in the early 1990s. In government, Gaidar shepherded Russia through its transition to a market ecomy after years of socialism. Once out of government, Gaidar turned again to his consideration of Russia's ecomic history and long-term ecomic and political challenges. This book, revised and updated shortly before his death in 2009, is the result. Gaidar's account of long-term socioecomic trends puts his country in historical context and outlines problems faced by Russia (and other developing ecomies) that more developed countries have already encountered: aging population, migration, evolution of the system of social protection, changes in the armed forces, and balancing stability and flexibility in democratic institutions. This is t a memoir, but, Gaidar points out, neither is it written from the position of a man who spent his entire life in a research institute. Gaidar's long view is inevitably informed and enriched by his experience in government at a watershed moment in history.
- Author BiographyYegor Gaidar (1956--2009) was a Russian economist and politician and a key architect of economic reforms in Russia's transition to a market economy.
- Author(s)Yegor Gaidar
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication19/09/2014
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note44 figures, 88 tables
- Weight853 g
- Width178 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Translated byAntonina W. Bouis
- Foreword byAnders Aslund
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 18
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $72.68
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $98.73
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.33
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.03
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $48.46
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.03
- AU $25.01Trending at AU $27.16
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.