All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionS is for South Africa where two oceans meet, cold Atlantic from the west and warm Indian from the east. Our country stretches wide over Africa's southern shores from golden beach to misty mountain, desert sand to grassy plain in a land of contrasts where we praise the sun - yet pray for rain! From Cricket to Madiba, from Bunny Chow to Kubu, this photographic alphabet celebrates everything we South Africans love best about our country. Set at the southern end of the African continent, our beautiful land with its many different plants, animals, people and languages was once made ugly by racism. But w our rainbow nation is striving to make the country a fairer place for everyone.
- Author BiographyBEVERLEY NAIDOO was born in South Africa. Her first book, Journey to Jo'burg, won The Other Award in Britain. It opened a window onto children's struggles under apartheid. In South Africa it was banned until 1991, the year after Nelson Mandela was released from jail. A few years later, when the parents of all South African children had the right to vote for the first time, Nelson Mandela was elected president. _For Chain of Fire she had to rely on reports and photos smuggled out of South Africa. But after 26 years she was at last able to return freely to research in the country. No Turning Back and Out of Bounds followed. In all her stories, young characters from different backgrounds face tense conflicts and choices. Beverley chose London as the setting for her first novel set outside South Africa but the issues are as dramatic - The Other Side of Truth won her the Carnegie Medal. PRODEEPTA DAS was born in Cuttack, in eastern India. He is a freelance photographer and author whose pictures have been published in over 20 children's books. In 1991 Inside India, which he also wrote, won the Commonwealth Photographer's Award. Prodeepta's books for Frances Lincoln are P is for Pakistan, Prita Goes to India, K is for Korea, We are Britain!, Geeta's Day, I is for India, J is for Jamaica, Kamal Goes to Trinidad, P is for Poland, T is for Turkey, S is for South Africa, R is for Russia and B is for Bangladesh.
- Author(s)Beverley Naidoo
- PublisherFrances Lincoln Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication05/06/2014
- SubjectChildren's General Non-Fiction
- Series TitleWorld Alphabet
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFrances Lincoln Childrens Books
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight136 g
- Width270 mm
- Height214 mm
- Spine5 mm
- Illustrator(s)Prodeepta Das
- Interest AgeFrom 4
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $28.89Trending at AU $29.75
- AU $64.00Trending at AU $71.53
- AU $23.74Trending at AU $26.79
- AU $49.99Trending at AU $51.72
- AU $47.28Trending at AU $53.63
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $24.09
- AU $36.54Trending at AU $45.36
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.