All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAmerican tattoo master Sailor Jerry Collins of Hawaii is best kwn for his remarkable tattoo designs, blending the fluidity of Asian motifs into classic American tattoo imagery. Until w, most of Sailor Jerrys work has been controlled by a handful of collectors, seen only at museum or art gallery exhibitions or in short-run, self-published books. Here is a sizeable portion of Sailor Jerrys stencils, the newest tattoo collectible, spanning his tattoo career, from the 1940s to the early 1970s. The basic line work of hundreds of his staple and surprisingly beautiful designspin-ups, roses, bluebirds, hearts, and banners, and Jerrys infamous military/political cartoons. The stencils themselves were handcut in celluloid, vinyl or acetate sheets by the master himself for use during his day-to-day thriving tattoo trade in downtown Holulu. They are, in the best sense, permanent tattoos carved in plastic, enduring through time. In their original condition, most carry residual charcoal dust from their last use. All are signed by Jerry with one of his several distinctive signatures. This is the only book of its kinda workbook for artists, and a design catalog for folk art historians. The value of the stencils is included, along with descriptions of stencils and their usage and a glossary of tattoo termilogy.
- Author BiographyKate Hellenbrand is an award-winning tattoo artist and writer. She began tattooing in 1971 in New York City, where she lives today. She worked with Sailor Jerry in his Honolulu shop in 1972 and remained his friend until his death in 1973.
- Author(s)Kate Hellenbrand
- PublisherSchiffer Publishing Ltd
- Date of Publication19/02/2002
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationAtglen
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSchiffer Publishing Ltd
- Content Note100s of images
- Weight570 g
- Width229 mm
- Height305 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Contained items statementContains Paperback and Other book format
Save on Textbooks
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $38.34
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $59.37
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.71
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $11.31Trending at AU $14.92
- AU $25.62Trending at AU $33.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.