All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMany years ago, the great British philosopher Sir Isaiah Berlin urged Herman Wouk to write his autobiography. Wouk responded, Why me? I'm body. Berlin answered, No, . You've traveled. You've kwn many people. You have interesting ideas. It would do a lot of good. Now, in the same year he has celebrated his hundredth birthday, Herman Wouk finally reflects on the life experiences that inspired his most beloved vels. Among those experiences are his days writing for comedian Fred Allen's radio show, one of the most popular shows in the history of the medium; enlisting in the US Navy during World War II; falling in love with Betty Sarah Brown, the woman who would become his wife (and literary agent) for sixty-six years; writing his Pulitzer Prize-winning vel, The Caine Mutiny; as well as a big hit Broadway play The Caine Mutiny Court Martial; and the surprising inspirations and people behind such masterpieces as The Winds of War, War and Remembrance, Marjorie Morningstar, and Youngblood Hawke. Written with the wisdom of a man who has lived through two centuries and the wit of someone who began his career as professional comedy writer, the first part of Wouk's memoir ( Sailor ) refers to his Navy experience and writing career, the second ( Fiddler ) to what he's learned from living a life of faith. Ultimately, Sailor and Fiddler is an unprecedented reflection from a vantage point few people have lived to experience.
- Author BiographyHerman Wouk, born in 1915, is the author of such classics as The Caine Mutiny (1951) and The Winds of War (1971). Among his laurels are the 1951 Pulitzer Prize in fiction for The Caine Mutiny and the cultural phenomenon of The Winds of War and War and Remembrance which went on to become two of the most popular novels and TV mini-series of the 1970s and 1980s. In 2008, he was honoured with the first Library of Congress Fiction Award, to be known as the Herman Wouk Award for Lifetime Achievement in the Writing of Fiction. He lives in Palm Springs, California.
- Author(s)Herman Wouk
- PublisherSimon & Schuster
- Date of Publication11/02/2016
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSimon & Schuster
- Weight264 g
- Width127 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $31.23Trending at AU $32.74
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $15.85
- AU $35.79Trending at AU $43.61
- AU $29.00Trending at AU $38.88
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $34.13
- AU $43.40Trending at AU $47.84
- AU $24.18Trending at AU $36.64
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.