All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.86
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $44.28Trending at AU $47.26
- AU $24.09Trending at AU $28.39
About this product
- DescriptionOn previous flight ops, when a launch was delayed, we usually passed the time telling jokes or exchanging the latest scuttlebutt. Tonight was different. Each of us sat silently with our own thoughts. All of us, I'm sure, made impossible promises to God, and I was one of them. My gut was wound so tight, it was hard to breathe, less talk. For the umpteenth time, I tightened the harness of my chute. I remember praying, 'Whatever else happens, don't make me bail out of this thing!' With little to recognition from the general public, navy enlisted aircrewmen performed heroically in the Korean War. Manning radios and radar, they were indispensable to the success of missions. Aviation Electronics Technician Second Class Jack Sauter was one such aircrewman. Assigned to the USS Midway and the USS Lake Champlain, he flew twenty-one early warning and antisubmarine missions from the backseat of a Douglas Skyraider with Task Force 77 off Korea in support of our troops. From the excitement and thrill of being catapulted from the deck of an aircraft carrier to the tedium of service at sea, the author describes in detail his service in the Korean air war.
- Author BiographyJack Sauter was an aviation electronics technician during the Korean War and is the president and editor of the USS Lake Champlain Association Inc. Edward Peary Stafford is a retired commander in the U.S. Navy and the author of The Big E: The Story of the USS Enterprise.
- Author(s)Jack Sauter
- PublisherUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Date of Publication01/11/2011
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationNebraska
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBison Books
- Content Note17 illustrations, 1 map
- Weight522 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Foreword byEdward Peary Stafford
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.