All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.86
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.84
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.02
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.03
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.20
- AU $24.91Trending at AU $28.29
- AU $9.81Trending at AU $13.34
About this product
- DescriptionSince 9/11, Salafism has attracted a great deal of attention from the world's media, which predominantly focuses on its potential for revolutionary violence. Salafism remains poorly understood both in Western media, where it is w the focus of considerable debate, and in Western academia, where until recently it was virtually undiscussed. In neither arena has a consensus emerged regarding what Salafism is or does. This pioneering work fills this lacuna by redirecting the reader towards the sphere of ritual practice, within which the discussions of contemporary Salafi scholars prove equally revolutionary. Taking the theme of ritual purity (tahara) as the leitmotif of modern Salafism, this work combines an analysis of key developments in ritual purity law with detailed ethgraphic investigations into ritual purity behaviour in specific Cairene settings. The author's research t only bridges the gap between anthropological and Islamicist approaches to Muslim ritual, but highlights the variety of ideas and experiences that contribute to Egyptian Salafism today. This book will be of interest to students of Islamic studies, Anthropology, Religious studies, as well as Middle East studies in general.
- Author BiographyRichard Gauvain is Assistant Professor in Middle East Studies at the American University in Cairo.
- Author(s)Jeroen Gunning,Richard Gauvain
- PublisherKegan Paul
- Date of Publication13/11/2012
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Series TitleIslamic Studies Series
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintKegan Paul
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight698 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.