Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionSalvation and Modernity presents an interpretation of the phemen of intellectual Christians in contemporary Chinese society, with special focus paid to Liu Xiaofeng, by exploring the main issues of faith, salvation, and the quest for a modern China. Author Fredrik Fallman investigates similar developments in earlier centuries by linking past and present forms of cultural Christian phemen, and the beliefs and ideas of Liu Xiaofeng and other scholars. Their focus on Christianity implies a criticism of traditional Chinese value systems, in particular Confucianism and Daoism. The introduction of Christian theology and values into Chinese academia is a way of creating greater understanding for Western culture. Many cultural Christians argue that this advanced understanding is a prerequisite for establishing a modern China. Issues of personal faith and identity are also central in respect to modernity as well as to individual and national salvation. Post-Mao China is seeking a new foundation for values and cultural Christians have a definite role to play. Since the choice of Christianity is an expression of individuality, freedom, and criticism of political structures, cultural Christians will ultimately help in laying foundations for a theology in Chinese relations between the intellectuals and the Church. The impact and importance of cultural Christians is becoming more visible w than ever before.
- Author BiographyFredrik Fallman, Ph. D., is a researcher at The Royal Academy of Letters, History and Antiquities in Stockholm, affiliated to Stockholm University Chinese Department.
- Author(s)Fredrik Fallman
- PublisherUniversity Press of America
- Date of Publication28/08/2008
- LanguageChinese & English
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of America
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight267 g
- Width154 mm
- Height232 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementRevised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.