All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionChristopher Hibbert draws on every kwn contemporary source to provide a minutely detailed look of the fascinating writer Samuel Johnson. Using facts and anecdotes, Hibbert delivers intimate glimpses into Johnson's time as a schoolboy, his eccentricities as an undergraduate at Oxford, his struggle as a poor writer in London, and his slow rise to the legendary figure with a court of admirers and a steady stream of visitors. Hibbert combines personal stories with an examination Johnson's writing, offering a compelling and readable account.
- Author BiographyCHRISTOPHER HIBBERT was born in 1924 and educated at Radley and Oxford, UK. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature and the author of many highly acclaimed books, including Disraeli, Edward VII, George VI, The Rise and Fall of the House of Medici; The English: A Social History; and Cavaliers and Roundheads. HENRY HITCHINGS is the critically acclaimed author of The Secret Life of Words: How English Became English and Defining the World: The Extraordinary Story of Dr Johnson's Dictionary. Educated at the universities of Oxford and London, he has contributed to many newspapers and magazines including The Guardian, The Financial Times, and the Times Literary Supplement.
- Author(s)Christopher Hibbert,Henry Hitchings
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication19/06/2009
- SubjectBiography: Literary
- Place of PublicationBasingstoke
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight339 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine24 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.18
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $72.99
- AU $20.46Trending at AU $22.94
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.42
- AU $36.83Trending at AU $37.88
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.28
- AU $14.43Trending at AU $22.77
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.