All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $39.95Trending at AU $54.70
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.60
- AU $18.90Trending at AU $23.23
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.31
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $56.23
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.68
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.29
About this product
- DescriptionMuch scholarship and research has been devoted to the remarkable flowering of German literature during the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. Nevertheless the contribution made by women writers remains comparatively unkwn, especially in the English-speaking world. Sappho in the Shadows seeks to rectify this by examining and setting in a social and literary context the life and work of seven female poets, many of whom defied convention in an attempt to establish an independent identity. Each chapter is accompanied by examples of their poetry, together with English translations. The intention is to render the achievement of these pioneering figures more accessible to all those interested in womens' writing in the Classical/Romantic period.
- Author BiographyThe Editors: Anthony J. Harper was born in 1938 and studied German at the University of Bristol. After teaching at the University of Edinburgh, he became Professor and Head of German Studies at the University of Strathclyde, taking early retirement in 1995. In 1998 he was awarded the title of Professor Emeritus. Margaret C. Ives was born in 1938 and studied German at Bedford College, University of London. She was for some years Fellow in German of Girton College, Cambridge before moving to the University of Lancaster where she remained until her retirement as Reader Emerita in German Studies in 1997.
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication30/09/2000
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleBritische und Irische Studien zur Deutschen Sprache und Literatur/British and Irish Studies in German Language and Literature
- Series Part/Volume Number19
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Weight400 g
- Width150 mm
- Height220 mm
- Edited byAnthony J. Harper,Margaret C. Ives
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.