All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionUK photographer Sarah Pickering's <i>Explosions, Fires and Public Order</i> is a visually arresting glimpse into the secret world of civil defense. Combining four series, the book begins with <i>Public Order</i>, a project exploring the Metropolitan Police Public Order Training Centre, a simulated urban environment near London where officers rehearse responses to imagined scenarios of civic unrest. The <i>Explosions</i> series documents the tactical use of controlled explosions by the British military, designed to add realistic stress to training exercises and familiarize soldiers with various munitions. <i>Fire Series</i> and <i>Incident</i>, Pickering's most recent series, were produced while she was an artist in residence at the UK Fire Training College. While there, she photographed blazes that were set inside meticulously and elaborately constructed home interiors, as well as the stark, charred remnants of fake urban settings after the scenario fires had been put out. Pickering's projects reflect an aspect of the current zeitgeist: global terrorism matched with omnipresent anxiety. My work explores the idea of imagined threat and response, and looks at fear and planning for the unexpected, merging fact and fiction, fantasy and reality.
- Author(s)Sarah Pickering
- Date of Publication01/03/2010
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content NoteIllustrations (some col.)
- Weight910 g
- Width211 mm
- Height287 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.52
- AU $3.75Trending at AU $7.39
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.94
- AU $70.89Trending at AU $79.81
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.14
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.09
- AU $17.07Trending at AU $23.44
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.