All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSauces have the ability to transform any food from dull to delectable; they are food enhancers that define national cuisines. They can be savoury or sweet, simple or complex, served as a side dish or presented as the main event. Sauces: A Global History takes readers on a journey from fermented sauces in fifth-century China to present-day cuisine, where sauces that are barely recognizable as such - foams, ices, smokes - are found in the increasingly popular world of molecular gastromy. This book examines sauce as a globe-crossing phemen, a culinary concept that followed trade routes from East to West and helped seafaring explorers add flavour to their motous rations. Tracing the evolution of food techlogy through the centuries, Sauces explores the development of this gastromic art, from the use of simple bread thickeners to the smooth sauces we kw today. It examines the controversies that sauces have created over the years, including debates about salsa overtaking ketchup in popularity and disputes over the Indian roots of British 'Worcestershire' sauce. It also relates the history of American ketchup and Tabasco sauce, which remain globally popular today.For sauce experts and vices alike, this book will encourage readers to take part in the debate over the definition of sauce, and to give sauce its due as an essential part of our eating habits.
- Author BiographyMaryann Tebben is Associate Professor of French at Bard College at Simon's Rock in Massachusetts, where she is the head of the Center for Food Studies.
- Author(s)Maryann Tebben
- PublisherReaktion Books
- Date of Publication05/09/2014
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Series TitleEdible
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintReaktion Books
- Content Note40 colour, 20 black & white
- Weight363 g
- Width120 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.42
- AU $27.80Trending at AU $30.93
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $26.96
- AU $29.32Trending at AU $32.03
- AU $71.12Trending at AU $80.38
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.78
- AU $25.16Trending at AU $27.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.