All listings for this product
About this product
- Description<i>Our best-laid plans will yield to fate.</i><i>And we will say, We lived. We ate. </i></p>Roy Blount Jr. is one of America's most cherished comic writers. He's been compared to Mark Twain and James Thurber, and his books have been called everything from a work of art (Robert W. Creamer, <i>The New York Times </i><i>Book Review</i>) to a book to read till it falls apart (<i>Newsweek</i>). Now, in <i>Save Room for Pie</i>, he applies his much-praised wit and charm to a rich and fundamental topic: food.</p>As a lifelong eater, Blount always got along easy with food--he didn't have to think, he just ate. But food doesn't exist in a vacuum; there's the global climate and the global ecomy to consider, t to mention Blount's chronic sinusitis, which constricts his sense of smell, and consequently his taste buds. So while he's always frowned on eating with an ulterior motive, times have changed. <i>Save Room for Pie</i> grapples with these and other food-related questions in Blount's signature style. Here you'll find lively meditations on everything from bacon froth to grapefruit, Kobe beef to biscuits. You'll also find defenses of gizzards, mullet, okra, cane syrup, watermelon, and boiled peanuts; an imagined dialogue between Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden; input from Louis Armstrong, Frederick Douglass, and Blaze Starr; and of course some shampooed possums and carjacking turkeys.</p>In poems and songs, limericks and fake (or sometimes true) news stories, Blount talks about food in surprising and invative ways, with all the wit and verve that prompted Garrison Keillor, in <i>The Paris Review</i>, to say: Blount is the best. He can be literate, uncouth, and soulful all in one sentence. </p>
- Author BiographyRoy Blount Jr. is the author of more than twenty books, covering subjects from the Pittsburgh Steelers to what dogs are thinking to the ins and outs of etymology. He is a regular panelist on NPR's <i>Wait Wait . . . Don't Tell Me!</i>, a member of the American Heritage Dictionary Usage Panel, and a member of the Fellowship of Southern Writers. Born in Indianapolis and raised in Decatur, Georgia, he now divides his time between New Orleans and western Massachusetts with his wife, the painter Joan Griswold, and their cat, Jimmy.
- Author(s)Roy Blount
- PublisherSarah Crichton Books
- Date of Publication21/03/2017
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSarah Crichton Books
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.06
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.