All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book investigates the propagation of waves in the presence of black holes. Astrophysical black holes may eventually be probed by these techniques. The authors emphasise intuitive physical thinking in their treatment of the techniques of analysis of scattering, but alternate this with chapters on the rigourous mathematical development of the subject. High and low energy limiting cases are treated extensively and semi-classical results are also obtained. The analogy between Newtonian gravitational scattering and Coulomb quantum mechanical scattering is fully exploited. The book introduces the concepts of scattering by considering the simplest, scalar wave case of scattering by a spherical black hole. It then develops the formalism of spin-weighted spheroidal harmonics and of plane wave representations for neutri, electromagnetic and gravitational scattering. Research workers and graduate and advanced undergraduate students in scattering theory, wave propagation and relativity will find this a comprehensive treatment of the topic.
- Author BiographyJ. A. H. Futterman is a physicist at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.
- Author(s)F.A. Handler,J.A.H. Futterman,Richard Alfred Matzner
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication11/06/2009
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleCambridge Monographs on Mathematical Physics
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight310 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.21
- AU $25.01Trending at AU $27.39
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.