All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNazi Germany invaded Poland on 1 September 1939 and five days later Krakow fell. Hans Frank's General Government then subjected the Polish and Jews to four and a half years of terror. The story begins with the plundering of the city's treasures, the relocation of the people and the first arrests and executions. The Jews were soon confined to Podgorze Ghetto, where they were forced to work in factories such as Oskar Schindler's. The terror increased with deportations and the bloody liquidation of the ghetto as the Jews were moved into Amon Goth's Plaszow concentration camp. Selections and murders followed, while Schindler bribed and conned his way to save his workforce before moving them to his Sudetenland home town. The Polish underground also fought back through sabotage, assassinations and propaganda, until the Soviets captured Krakow. This is an essential guide to Krakow - a city of contrasts, with a medieval centre and communist-era outskirts. Rawson details the relevant sights, including the Jewish Quarter, Wawel Castle, Podgorze Ghetto and Plaszow camp.He also explores the relevant museums, including the Schindler factory, the Gestapo headquarters and the Home Army Museum.The city is an ideal base for visiting nearby Auschwitz-Birkenau.
- Author BiographyAndrew Rawson is a freelance writer who has over twenty-five books to his name, including eight Pen & Sword Battleground Europe travel books and three The History Press Handbook reference books. He has edited Eyes Only: The Top Secret Correspondence between Marshall and Eisenhower and Organizing Victory: The War Conferences 1941-1945. He has also written a comprehensive accounts of the British Army's campaigns in 1914 and 1916. This is a companion book to Auschwitz - The Nazi Solution, the story of a concentration camp near Krakow.
- Author(s)Andrew Rawson
- PublisherPen & Sword Books Ltd
- Date of Publication16/09/2015
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationSouth Yorkshire
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPen & Sword Military
- Content Note30 illustrations
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $21.88Trending at AU $34.44
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
- AU $20.37Trending at AU $22.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.