All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.21
- AU $25.01Trending at AU $27.39
About this product
- DescriptionWhy in the world are we paying for all this basic research? The answer to this question becomes clear in this romp through the seemingly useless world of pure science, where one thing leads to ather in ways that result in major scientific advancements. With a velistic style, C. Renee James reveals how obscure studies of natural phemena - including curved space-time, poisous cone snails, exploding black holes, and the precise chemical makeup of the sun-led unexpectedly to WiFi, GPS, genetic sequencing, pain medications, and cancer treatments. Science Unshackled brings both science and scientists to life and shows how simple curiosity can result in life-changing breakthroughs. Scientists engaged in basic research, funded in large part by governments around the globe and throughout the centuries, never kw when exploring small questions will have big impacts. But, by following the scientific method, disciplined inquiry can lead to wondrous and practical discoveries that benefit all of us in the end. The next time someone asks you why the government wastes its money on weird research, recall the intriguing stories James has told and tell them the answer.
- Author BiographyC. Renee James is a professor of physics at Sam Houston State University. She is the author of Seven Wonders of the Universe That You Probably Took for Granted, also published by Johns Hopkins.
- Author(s)C. Renee James
- PublisherJohns Hopkins University Press
- Date of Publication26/09/2014
- SubjectPopular Science
- Place of PublicationBaltimore, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohns Hopkins University Press
- Weight431 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Interest AgeFrom 18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.