All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionScientific techniques developed in materials science offer invaluable information to archaeology, art history, and conservation. A rapidly growing number of invative methods, as well as many established techniques, are constantly being improved and optimised for the analysis of cultural heritage materials. The result is that on the one hand more complex problems and questions can be confronted, but on the other hand the required level of technical competence is widening the existing cultural gap between scientists and end users, such as archaeologists, museum curators, art historians, and many managers of cultural heritage who have a purely humanistic background. The book is intended as an entry-level introduction to the methods and rationales of scientific investigation of cultural heritage materials, with emphasis placed on the analytical strategies, modes of operation, and resulting information rather than on technicalities. The extensive and updated reference list should be a useful starting point for further reading. Students and researchers from the humanities approaching scientific investigations should find it useful, as well as scientists applying familiar techniques and methods to unfamiliar problems related to cultural heritage.
- Author BiographyGilberto G. Artioli is Director of the CIRCe Center for the Study of Cement Materials, and Professor of Mineralogy and Crystallography at the University of Padova, Italy.
- Author(s)Gilberto Artioli
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication08/07/2010
- SubjectScience: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Note200 b/w line and halftone figures, 8pp colour plates
- Weight1401 g
- Width195 mm
- Height248 mm
- Spine33 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.93
- AU $23.60Trending at AU $29.65
- AU $32.93Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $47.93
- AU $30.86Trending at AU $32.07
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.73
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $22.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.