All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhile neuroscience has provided insights into the structure and function of nervous systems, hard questions remain about the nature of consciousness, mind, and self. Perhaps the most difficult questions involve the meaning of neuroscientific information, and how to pursue and utilize neuroscientific kwledge in ways that are consistent with some construal of social 'good'. Written for researchers and graduate students in neuroscience and bioethics, Scientific and Philosophical Perspectives in Neuroethics explores important developments in neuroscience and neurotechlogy, and addresses the philosophical, ethical, and social issues and problems that such advancements generate. It examines three core questions. First, what is the scope and direction of neuroscientific inquiry? Second, how has progress to date affected scientific and philosophical ideas, and finally, what ethical issues and problems does this progress and kwledge incur, both w and in the future?
- Author BiographyJames J. Giordano is Rockefeller Professor of Medicine and Neurosciences, and Senior Scholar, Program in Ethics and Systems' Medicine, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC. He is a Senior Fellow and Director of the Center for Neurotechnology Studies at the Potomac Institute for Policy Studies in Virginia, and is one of nine American Academy of Pain Medicine National Visiting Professors. Professor Giordano is Editor-in-Chief of the journal Philosophy, Ethics, and Humanities in Medicine and Associate Editor for the international journal Neuroethics. Bert Gordijn is Chair of Ethics and Director of the Institute of Ethics at Dublin City University. He has been appointed to the External Science Advisory Panel to the European Chemical Industry Council and served on the Scientific Advisory Board of the European Patent Organization, as well as the UNESCO Expert Committee on Ethics and Nanotechnology. Bert is also Secretary of the European Society for Philosophy of Medicine and Healthcare.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication18/02/2010
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note16 b/w illus. 5 tables
- Weight790 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byBert Gordijn,James J. Giordano
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.32
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.53
- AU $12.82Trending at AU $13.83
- AU $36.82Trending at AU $38.16
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.69
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.51
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.