All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $94.99Trending at AU $106.80
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.51
- AU $104.90Trending at AU $118.13
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.21
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $107.51
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $106.06
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $86.71
About this product
- DescriptionHow do scientists, scholars, and other experts engage with the general public and with the communities affected by their work or residing in their sites of study? Where are the fine lines between public scholarship, civic engagement, and activism? Must academics 'give back' once they collect data and publish results? In this volume, authors from a wide range of disciplines examine these relationships to assess how they can be fruitful or challenging. Describing the methodological and ethical issues that experts must consider when carrying out public scholarship, this book includes a checklist for critical factors of success in engagement and an examination of the role of digital social media in science communication. Illustrated by a range of case studies addressing environmental issues (climate change, resource use, post-disaster policy) and education, it offers an investigation into the levels and ways in which scholars can engage, and how and whether academics and experts who engage in community work and public scholarship are ackwledged and rewarded for doing so by their institutions. Also bringing into the debate the perspective of citizens who have collaborated with academics, the book offers an exploration of the democratizing potential of participatory action research.
- Author BiographyAmy E. Lesen is Research Associate Professor at Tulane University's Center for Bioenvironmental Research.
- Author(s)Amy E. Lesen
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication28/12/2014
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Series TitleAshgate Studies in Environmental Policy and Practice
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight450 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Series Edited byProfessor Adrian McDonald
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.