All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe western coastal lands of the Northern Highlands are squeezed between the rthern Hebrides and Drumalban, the mountaius spine of Highland Scotland. This is a region justly famed for some of the finest and most unspoilt scenery in the British Isles, but what happened here in times past? Scotland's Northwest Frontier provides the answer. For a long time, this area was a frontier zone between the medieval kingdoms of Norway and Scotland, and then between the Gaelic Lords of the Isles and the Scottish kings. In the 18th century, this remote seaboard was Britain's 'Afghanistan', a dangerous region often beyond the control of London and Edinburgh. It was the last hiding place of Bonnie Prince Charlie before his escape to France after his Jacobite army had been crushed on Culloden Moor. A land of clans and lost causes, this is the story of powerful lords and warrior chiefs, Presbyterian soldiers of the Covenant and Haverian redcoats, Highland Clearances, road and railway builders, whisky smugglers and opium traders, from Viking times to the beginning of the 21st century. Scotland's Northwest Frontier is the entertaining story of what was for long a lawless region, followed through eight turbulent centuries. Backed by comprehensive appendices and glossary, this is one for the fireside, a travelling companion and an invaluable reference source for the bookshelf. Scotland's Northwest Frontier will appeal to those interested in Scottish history, and people who descend from Scottish clans and families.
- Author BiographyAlister Farquhar Matheson was born and brought up in Edinburgh. He obtained his first degree at Edinburgh University and his doctorate from Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Dr Matheson now lives with his wife in Richmond, North Yorkshire, where he is a volunteer at the Citizens' Advice Bureau, and a keen photographer and rambler.
- Author(s)Alister Farquhar Matheson
- PublisherTroubador Publishing
- Date of Publication18/09/2014
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationLeicester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $39.95Trending at AU $54.70
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.60
- AU $18.90Trending at AU $23.23
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.31
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $56.23
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.68
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.