Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.19
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.99
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.45
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.54
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $22.31
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.48
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.72
About this product
- DescriptionAfter the Referendum on whether Scotland should become an independent country in September 2014 - and following a momentous mobilisation of voters by both the Yes and No campaigns - Scotland's political environment has been fundamentally energised. But how was the Referendum campaign reported and structured in the media in Scotland, the wider United Kingdom, and in other parts of the world, and was it a matter of 'construction' rather than 'representation'? In this book scholars, commentators and journalists from Britain, Europe and beyond examine how the media across the world presented the debate itself and the shifting nature of Scottish - and British - identity which that debate revealed. Several of the contributors also explore how the emphases and constructions which were put on the debate in their particular countries illuminated these countries' own responses to nationalism and separatism. The consequences of the Referendum's No result are traced in the media through until the May general election of 2015.
- Author BiographyNeil Blain is Professor Emeritus of Communications at the University of Stirling. His publications include Media, Monarchy and Power (with Hugh O'Donnell), Sport, Media, Culture: Local and Global Dimensions and The Media in Scotland (co-edited with David Hutchison). David Hutchison has published in the fields of theatre, media policy and journalism. From 2010-2014 he was chair of Regional Screen Scotland. He is Honorary Professor of Media Policy at Glasgow Caledonian University. Gerry Hassan is an author and commentator whose books include Caledonian Dreaming, Independence of the Scottish Mind and Spirit of Independence.
- PublisherEdinburgh University Press
- Date of Publication31/03/2016
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEdinburgh University Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight612 g
- Width155 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byDavid Hutchison,Professor Gerry Hassan,Professor Neil Blain
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.