All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.09
- AU $32.48Trending at AU $38.03
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.47
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.57
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $39.95
- AU $11.25Trending at AU $14.82
- AU $25.62Trending at AU $32.82
About this product
- DescriptionAs the U.S. Navy enters the twenty-first century, many of the ships, aircraft, weapons, and tactics it employed so successfully during the Cold War will longer be cost-effective or even effective. Future battlefields will shift the locus of naval action from the high seas into littoral waters, demanding sustained operations in relatively narrow, shallow waters. Naval forces in the twenty-first century must t only meet the traditional requirements of command of the sea-ships, planes, troops, and bases-carrying out forward presence, crisis response, strategic deterrence, and sealift. They must w put these together to obtain the four key operational capabilities of littoral warfare: command, control, intelligence and surveillance, and communication; battlespace dominance; power projection; and force sustainment. The core of the new U.S. strategic concept is power projection, and it envisions naval forces directly leading Army and Air Force elements to influence events ashore, most probably in the Third World. And this navy must be cost effective.
- Author BiographyCHARLES W. KOBURGER, JR., is currently a consultant on maritime affairs. He has published extensively on naval and maritime subjects, including Naval Expeditions: The French Return to Indochina, 1945-1946 (forthcoming, 1997), Pacific Turning Point: The Solomons Campaign, 1942-1943 (1995), Naval Warfare in the Baltic, 1939-1945: War in a Narrow Sea (1994), Franco-American Naval Relations, 1940-1945 (1993), Naval Warfare in the Eastern Mediterranean: 1940-1945 (1993), and The French Navy in Indochina: Riverine and Coastal Forces, 1945-54 (1991), all from Praeger.
- Author(s)Charles W. Koburger
- Date of Publication16/09/1997
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPraeger Publishers Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight486 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.