Search-Based Applications: At the Confluence of Search and Database Technologies by Gregory Grefenstette, Laura Wilber (Paperback, 2010)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $49.99Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $42.06Free postage
- Good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWe are poised at a major turning point in the history of information management via computers. Recent evolutions in computing, communications, and commerce are fundamentally reshaping the ways in which we humans interact with information, and generating ermous volumes of electronic data along the way. As a result of these forces, what will data management techlogies, and their supporting software and system architectures, look like in ten years? It is difficult to say, but we can see the future taking shape w in a new generation of information access platforms that combine strategies and structures of two familiar -- and previously quite distinct -- techlogies, search engines and databases, and in a new model for software applications, the Search-Based Application (SBA), which offers a pragmatic way to solve both well-kwn and emerging information management challenges as of w. Search engines are the world's most familiar and widely deployed information access tool, used by hundreds of millions of people every day to locate information on the Web, but few are aware they can w also be used to provide precise, multidimensional information access and analysis that is hard to distinguish from current database applications, yet endowed with the usability and massive scalability of Web search. In this book, we hope to introduce Search Based Applications to a wider audience, using real case studies to show how this flexible techlogy can be used to intelligently aggregate large volumes of unstructured data (like Web pages) and structured data (like database content), and to make that data available in a highly contextual, quasi real-time manner to a wide base of users for a varied range of purposes. We also hope to shed light on the general convergences underway in search and database disciplines, convergences that make SBAs possible, and which serve as harbingers of information management paradigms and techlogies to come.
- Author(s)Gregory Grefenstette,Laura Wilber
- PublisherMorgan & Claypool Publishers
- Date of Publication30/12/2010
- SubjectLibrary & Information Science
- Series TitleSynthesis Lectures on Information Concepts, Retrieval, and Services
- Place of PublicationSan Rafael
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2010
- ImprintMorgan & Claypool Publishers
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight274 g
- Width187 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Series Edited byGary Marchionini
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.32
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.53
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.66
- AU $12.82Trending at AU $13.83
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $38.16
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.69
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.51
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.