All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIllustrated with memorable photographs throughout, 'Secret Bristol' uncovers some inconvenient historic events to reveal truths that may be brutal or horrific, or just amusingly odd. From prehistory to the present, it takes us on a fascinating journey through royal pageantry, slavery, piracy, food riots and the cruelties inflicted in prisons, reformatories and workhouses. After the First World War, Secret Bristol chronicles the bitterness of soldiers when the promised 'land fit for heroes' failed to materialise, and follows them into the Great Depression of the 1930s and the indignity of the Means Test. Bristol's Second World War contribution to aircraft design and manufacture and the city's munitions industry follow, along with accounts from the Blitz that largely missed the city's docks but destroyed the priceless heritage of its medieval city centre. The 1950s era of 'you've never had it so good', and the Whites Only policy on Bristol buses in the early 1960s take us up to the St Paul's riots in 1980 and beyond.
- Author BiographyBorn and brought up in Merseyside, James worked various trades and came to Bristol in 1978 to spend the weekend with a friend. He liked the city so much that he made it his permanent home. He has had success with a book called 'Gaskin', which was made into a BBC film, and its sequel, 'A Boy Called Graham', and wrote a radio play that was set and recorded in Bristol. It was while researching the background for his play that the author's interest in Bristol's past became aroused; 'Secret Bristol' is the result. Married in Manila in 1994, James and his wife now live in south Bristol and have two children.
- Author(s)James MacVeigh
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication15/06/2016
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Series TitleSecret
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note100
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $93.04
- AU $28.71Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.83
- AU $34.29Trending at AU $38.68
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.35
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $17.94
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.21
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.