All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionStrategically situated at the foot of the Pennines, the market town of Penrith was important to both Scotland and England and changed hands several times. Conflict has been a major influence on this area, from the Scottish Wars, the English Civil Wars and the Jacobite rebellions through to the invasion of Europe during the Second World War when many of the surrounding stately homes and their land being used for secret tank development, maeuvres and training in preparation D-Day in June 1944. The town laso has more peaceful associations. From the 19th century, its position so close to the picturesque scenery of the Lake District made it an increasingly fashionable resort and an attraction for some of our finest artists including JWM Turner. On a journey through this ancient market town, local historian, Andrew Stables will recount some of the history lurking around every corner and you will find more than you could possibly imagine.
- Author BiographyAndrew Graham Stables lives in York but was brought up in Teesdale near to the Market Town of Barnard Castle. He is a regular visitor of museums, prolific reader of history books and avid watcher of historical documentaries.
- Author(s)Andrew Graham Stables
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication15/04/2016
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Series TitleSecret
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note100
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.66
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.45
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.63
- AU $98.80Trending at AU $107.74
- AU $49.79Trending at AU $51.97
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.72
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.64
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.