All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.06
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $23.77
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.22
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.12
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.23
- AU $30.78Trending at AU $34.76
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.93
About this product
- DescriptionWhen everyday social situations and cultural phemena come to be associated with a threat to security, security becomes a value which competes with other values - particularly the right to privacy and human rights. In this comparison, security appears as an obvious choice over the loss of some aspects of other values and is seen as a reasonable and worthwhile sacrifice because of what security promises to deliver. When the value of security is elevated to the top of the collective priorities, it becomes a meta-frame, a reference point in relation to which other aspects of social life are articulated and organized. With the tendency to treat a variety of social issues as security threats and the public's growing acceptance of surveillance as an inevitable form of social control, the security meta-frame rises to the level of a dominant organizing principle in such a way that it shapes the parameters and the conditions of daily living. This volume offers case studies from multiple countries that show how our private and public life is shaped by the security meta-frame and surveillance. It is essential reading for everyone who is interested in the changes to be faced in social life, privacy, and human freedoms during this age of security and surveillance.
- Author BiographyVida Bajc is completing her doctorate in the Department of Sociology at the University of Pennsylvania. Willem de Lint is Professor of Criminal Justice at Flinders Law School, Flinders University of South Australia.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication07/08/2013
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Series TitleRoutledge Advances in Criminology
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note5 black & white illustrations, 3 black & white tables, 4 black & white halftones, 1 black & white line drawings
- Weight453 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byVida Bajc,Willem de Lint
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.