Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.89
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $71.21Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.39
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $14.06
About this product
- DescriptionEurope's traditional problem of war between states is being displaced by a new and equally daunting set of security challenges. While major war within Europe remains unlikely, the 2008 Georgia war and the 2011 Libya war were reminders that violent conflicts are still prevalent on Europe's periphery and can pose major challenges for European governments, NATO and the EU. At the same time, terrorism, nuclear proliferation as well as n-military problems like mass migration and climate change threaten Europe's security. Fully revised and updated, the second edition of this leading text provides a systematic assessment of security in contemporary Europe. The book examines the changing character of security and assesses the extent of the threats posed by different challenges, as well as the policy dilemmas involved in responding to these concerns. The nature of security in Europe has been transformed in recent years. Andrew Cottey argues that this is a result of two key developments: the emergence of a security community - a zone of peace where war is inconceivable across much of Europe - and the presence of new security threats such as terrorism and energy dependence. Set in the context of the rising power of n-Western states and the continuing fall-out from the global ecomic crisis, this text provides a comprehensive analysis of Europe's new security challenges.
- Author BiographyANDREW COTTEY is Senior Lecturer and Jean Monnet Chair in European Political Integration in the Department of Government, University College Cork, Republic of Ireland.
- Author(s)Andrew Cottey
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication19/11/2012
- SubjectPolitics & Government: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series Title21st Century Europe
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Notebiography
- Weight404 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.