All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.40
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.27
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.21
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.10
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.47
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.98
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.28
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a philosophical exploration of the concept of well-being that argues for its importance in education and provides teachers with strategies for its encouragement and nurturing. The simple premise of this book is that the purpose of education is to serve the well-being of students. Well-being might seem to be an obvious aim for education, but it has been given insufficient attention and often is poorly understood. Karl D. Hostetler asks: What does it mean for a human being to live a good life, to experience well-being? How, as individuals and a society, can we debate and evaluate the quality of lives? What classroom practices would be conducive to furthering the welfare of our students? Hostetler explores how teachers can seduce students' souls, guiding and provoking while still respecting individuals' rights to conceive and live a fulfilling life for themselves. He prompts serious reflection about the purposes of education and challenges dominant ideas about the aims of education, the politics of policy-making, and the practice of teaching. Seducing Souls argues eloquently and provocatively for the necessity of experiences that touch the soul, that elevate the young self so that students can better understand life and discern value.
- Author BiographyKarl D. Hostetler is Professor, College of Education and Human Sciences at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. He is the author of Ethical Judgment in Teaching (Allyn & Bacon, 1997).
- Author(s)Karl D. Hostetler
- PublisherContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Date of Publication01/08/2011
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight517 g
- Width153 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.