All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat enabled Harry Markopolos to put the finger on the master fraudster Bernie Madoff? - How did Dr Michael Gottlieb first detect and identify the AIDS epidemic among his patients. - How did a smokejumper recognize that setting ather fire would save, rather than imperil, his life? - What did Admiral Yamamoto see in a 1940 British attack on the Italian fleet that enabled him to develop the strategy of attack at Pearl Harbor? THE ANSWER, TO ALL FOUR QUESTIONS, IS INSIGHT. Insights like these can change the world, but we also need insights into the everyday things that frustrate and confuse us, so we can more effectively solve problems, make decisions and get things done. Yet until w, we knew remarkably little about insight: how it works, and how we can develop it for ourselves. A keen observer of people in their natural settings - from soldiers to scientists, police officers to business people - rewned cognitive psychologist Gary Klein uses a range of fascinating real-life stories to illuminate the nature of insight. Revealing how insight is impeded by an over-emphasis on error reduction, and dumb by design IT systems, he demonstrates how insight can be positively encouraged through employing five key strategies: ticing connections, coincidences and curiosities, investigating contradictions, and creating breakthrough solutions through the force of desperation.
- Author BiographyGary Klein, PhD, is a research psychologist famous for his part in founding the field of naturalistic decision making, and is Senior Scientist at MacroCognition LLC. He was one of the leaders of a team that redesigned the White House Situation Room. Gary is the author of several books, including The Power of Intuition and Streetlights and Shadows.
- Author(s)Gary Klein
- PublisherHodder & Stoughton General Division
- Date of Publication13/02/2014
- SubjectPopular Psychology
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintNicholas Brealey Publishing
- Content NoteB&W illustrations, diagrams and maps
- Weight362 g
- Width136 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.82
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.86
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.95
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.10
- AU $24.91Trending at AU $28.23
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.31
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.