All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.80
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.96
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.25
- AU $35.12Trending at AU $54.56
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.27
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $35.62Trending at AU $37.45
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the first book to be published which takes a then and w view of Selby, Goole, Cawood and Howden. In Selby we see the magnificent Abbey, its calamitous history and wonderful windows; and the River Ouse and the Selby Canal, powerful commercial arteries which shaped the development of the town and its shipbuilding industry. Goole, much younger, owes its birth to Charles I and a Dutch civil engineer, and it has developed into one of the UK's most important inland ports. Cawood was the closest Cardinal Wolsey got to taking his seat in York while the Bishop's Palace in Howden was a stopping place for the Prince Bishops of Durham on their way to London. Nearly 200 images supported by informative text will delight everyone interested in the history of these towns. Residents and visitors of any of them will enjoy a stalgic journey through time that takes them back a hundred or so years and shows them how things have changed.
- Author BiographyPaul Chrystal was educated at the Universities of Hull and Southampton where he took degrees in Classics and wrote his MPhil thesis on attitudes to women in Roman love poetry. He appears regularly on BBC local radio the World Service. He is the author of over fifty books on a wide range of subjects, including histories of northern places, social histories of tea and of chocolate, a history of confectionery in Yorkshire and various aspects of classical literature and Roman history.
- Author(s)Paul Chrystal
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication15/11/2012
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Series TitleThrough Time
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note185
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.