All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFriedrich Holderlin (1770-1843) is w recognized as one of Europe's supreme poets. He first found his true voice in the epigrams and odes he wrote when transfigured by his love for the wife of a rich banker. He later embarked on an extraordinarily ambitious sequence of hymns exploring cosmology and history, from mythological times to the discovery of America and his own era. The 'Canticles of Night', by contrast, include enigmatic fragments in an unprecedented style, which anticipates the Symbolists and Surrealists. Together the works collected here show Holderlin's use of Classical and Christian imagery and his exploration of cosmology and history in an attempt to find meaning in an uncertain world.
- Author BiographyAs well as his poems on classical themes, the German poet Friedrich Holderlin (1770-1843) is author of the novel HYPERION. Michael Hamburger was born in Berlin in 1924. His family emigrated to England in 1933. His own collections of poetry include FLOWERING CACTUS, WEATHER AND SEASON and OWNERLESS EARTH: NEW AND SELECTED POEMS, and his many distinguished translations include versions of Hofmannsthal and Grass, as well as the POEMS AND FRAGMENTS, on which he worked for many years.
- Author(s)Friedrich Holderlin
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication28/05/1998
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Classics
- Weight292 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byJeremy Adler
- Translated byMichael Hamburger
- Foreword byJeremy Adler
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.20
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $34.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.