All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJohn Keats's abiding poetic legacy is one of extraordinary and triumphant richness. Before the moment of 'self-will' when he declared his intention to be a poet, Keats (1795-1821) had chosen the medical profession. His apothecary's training influenced his conception of poetry as an art that could mitigate the world's suffering. Keats's generous spirit triumphed over personal sadness, finding expression in his concept of life as a 'vale of Soul-making' rather than a vale of tears. He published only three volumes before his death at the age of 25, and, while many of his contemporaries quickly recognized his genius, sbbery and political hostility led the Tory press to vilify him. This selection, chosen from the Oxford Authors critical edition of Keats's major works, demonstrates the remarkable growth in maturity of his verse, from early poems such as 'Imitation of Spenser' and 'Ode to Apollo' to later work such as 'The Eve of St Agnes', 'Ode to a Nightingale', and 'To Autumn'. Elizabeth Cook's introduction, tes and glossary of classical names offer helpful insights into Keats's life and work. ABOUT THE SERIES: For over 100 years Oxford World's Classics has made available the widest range of literature from around the globe. Each affordable volume reflects Oxford's commitment to scholarship, providing the most accurate text plus a wealth of other valuable features, including expert introductions by leading authorities, helpful tes to clarify the text, up-to-date bibliographies for further study, and much more.
- Author BiographyElizabeth Cook studied at Oxford University and the Warburg Institute, and has taught at the universities of Essex and Leeds. She now works freelance.
- Author(s)John Keats
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication11/09/2008
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Series TitleOxford World's Classics
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Weight214 g
- Width129 mm
- Height196 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Edited byElizabeth Cook
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.20
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.08
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.02
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.83
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.26
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.87
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.98
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.