All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSelf Versus Others explores the third-person effect and its role in media as a means of persuasion. This scholarly work synthesizes more than two decades of research on the third-person effect, the process in which individuals do t perceive themselves to be impacted by particular messages-such as persuaded to engage in risky behaviors or encouraged to be violent-but they believe others will be. Authors Julie L. Andsager and H. Allen White focus their analysis specifically on the role of media and media messages, and assert that the third-person effect functions as a means of persuasion. They explore the underlying concepts and connections this effect shares with established theories of persuasion and mediated communication. The only volume to date focusing on the topic, Self Versus Others demonstrates the significant impact persuasion has on public opinion, behavior, and policy. As such, understanding the means through which persuasion can be accomplished thereby provides a powerful tool. Timely and succinct, this book: *provides thorough synthesis of third-person effect literature; *argues that systematic versus heuristic processing underlies third-person perceptions; and *conceptually links third-person effects with co-orientation. Intended for communication scholars with an interest in persuasion, as well as those in key areas including mass communication, health communication, and political communication, this book is also appropriate for advanced courses in persuasion, communication theory, and campaigns.
- Author(s)H. Allen White,Julie L. Andsager
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication31/10/2013
- SubjectCommunication & Media
- Series TitleRoutledge Communication Series
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight249 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.11
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.45
- AU $31.43Trending at AU $36.86
- AU $30.95Trending at AU $34.21
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.82
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.28
- AU $18.81Trending at AU $22.17
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.