All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionThis study examines the associations between dressing and storytelling in Margaret Atwood's fiction. As cultural representations operating within a network of codes, clothed bodies are often discussed by theorists as constructed performances or as fabricated texts, inextricably bound up with ideology and power. The clothed body often becomes a battleground in Atwood's fiction as female protagonists respond to divisive cultural scripts through self-fashioning. Furthermore, Atwood seems to collapse the opposition between the material and the spiritual through clothing, to consider dress a fitting metaphor for the space between the natural and the supernatural. While the connections among dress, body, and story are visible from Atwood's earliest vel forward, they achieve their most unified and powerful effect in The Robber Bride (1993) and Alias Grace (1996). In these vels, Atwood draws upon the classical idea that the body clothes the soul to create a postmodern frame for the complex relationships among subjectivity, representation, voice, gender, and culture.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Cynthia G. Kuhn is Assistant Professor of English at Metropolitan State College in Denver, Colorado. She earned her doctorate in English from the University of Denver. Her research interests include contemporary North American fiction, women's literature, and the gothic.
- Author(s)Cynthia G. Kuhn
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/01/2005
- SubjectThe Arts: General & Reference
- Series TitleAmerican University Studies Series 27: Feminist Studies
- Series Part/Volume Number9
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Content Note2 illustrations
- Weight340 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.