All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionKearns' book provides a lively and engaging introduction to formal semantics. This new edition extends the scope of the first edition by providing additional material on formalization in a very accessible manner. The presentation is clear and user-friendly throughout, making this a really useful resource for use with undergraduates and beginning graduate students alike' - Professor Louisa Sadler, University of Essex Semantics is the study of the literal meaning of words and the meaning of the way words are combined. This engaging introduction to formal semantics assumes prior kwledge, providing a solid understanding of a range of semantic phemena. Truly wide-ranging in coverage, other introductory textbook discusses a comparable range of topics. Areas covered include: * a beginner's introduction to type theory and the lambda calculus * generalized quantifier theory * referential opacity * thematic roles and lexical conceptual structure * aktionsarten * tense and aspect, including Discourse Representation Theory * event semantics Illustrated throughout with numerous practical examples, each chapter also contains exercises, graded to three different levels of difficulty, as well as suggestions for further reading. Thoroughly revised and expanded, this second edition includes entirely new material on type theory, lambda calculus, semantic composition and discussion of time within a narrative. Comprehensive and accessible, Semantics is ideal for both undergraduate and postgraduate students working at a variety of levels.
- Author BiographyKATE KEARNS Senior Lecturer in Linguistics at the University of Canterbury, New Zealand.
- Author(s)Kate Kearns
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication11/05/2011
- Series TitlePalgrave Modern Linguistics
- Place of PublicationBasingstoke
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published2000
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Notebiography
- Weight442 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Save on Textbooks
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $37.71
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $58.40
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.22
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.32
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $39.61
- AU $11.25Trending at AU $14.70
- AU $25.62Trending at AU $32.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.