All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.86
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $24.09Trending at AU $28.32
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.35
About this product
- DescriptionThe subject of this book is the thought of the American pragmatist and founder of semiotics, Charles Sanders Peirce. The book collects the papers presented to the International Conference Semiotics and Philosophy in C.S. Peirce (Milan, April 2005), together with some additional new contributions by well-kwn Peirce scholars, bearing witness to the vigour of Peircean scholarship in Italy and also hosting some of the most significant international voices on this topic. The book is introduced by the two editors and is divided into three sections, corresponding to the three main areas of the most interesting contemporary reflection on Peirce. Namely, Semiotics and the Logic of Inquiry (part I); Abduction and Philosophy of Mathematics (part II); Peirce and the Western Tradition. (part III). The analysis is carried out from a semiotic perspective, in which semiotics should t be understood as a specific doctrine but rather as the philosophical core of Peirce's system. As we read in the introduction: it is semiotics and philosophy or, rather, semiotics as philosophy and philosophy as semiotics, which emerge from a reading of these papers .
- Author BiographyRossella Fabbrichesi is Professor of Hermeneutics at the State University of Milan, Italy. She has been studied Peirce since her Ph.D. in Philosophy, publishing La polemica sull'iconismo (1983); Sulle tracce del segno (1986); Il concetto di relazione in Peirce (1992); Introduzione a Peirce (1993). She edited two anthologies of Peirce's writings: La logica degli eventi (1989); Categorie (1992). She also worked on the link between Peirce and Wittgenstein (Cosa significa dirsi pragmatisti: Peirce e Wittgenstein a confronto, 2002; Peirce and Wittgenstein on Common Sense, 2004) and the connexions between both authors and the Leibnizian tradition (I corpi del significato. Lingua, scrittura e conoscenza in Leibniz e Wittgenstein, 2000; and, with F. Leoni, Continuita e variazione. Leibniz, Goethe, Peirce, Wittgenstein. Con un'incursione kantiana, 2005). Recently, she turned to the topic of a genealogy of sign in Greek thought (La freccia di Apollo. Semiotica ed erotica nel pensiero antico, 2006). She edits the first Italian web-site entirely devoted to Peirce (www.unimi.it/peirce/). Susanna Marietti is a Post-Doctoral Researcher and Assistant Professor in the Department of Philosophy at the University of Milan. After her earlier studies in formal logic, she became interested in the foundation of logic and mathematics, a topic she treats by making use of Peirce's semiotics. Besides various essays on this subject, she authored a volume on Peirce's philosophy of mathematics (Icona e diagramma. Il segno matematico in Charles Sanders Peirce, 2001), edited an Italian anthology of Peirce's manuscripts (Pragmatismo e grafi esistenziali, 2003) and collaborated on the creation of the first Italian website dealing entirely with Peirce. She has also been conducting research on Kant's and Wittgenstein's philosophy. Susanna Marietti is the editor of various volumes on human rights and penal issues and belongs to the editorial board of Antigone, an Italian periodical on related subjects.
- PublisherCambridge Scholars Publishing
- Date of Publication01/04/2006
- Place of PublicationNewcastle upon Tyne
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge Scholars Press
- Weight549 g
- Width148 mm
- Height212 mm
- Edited byRossella Fabbrichesi Leo,Susanna Marietti
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
- Edition Statement1st Unabridged
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.