All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBernard Braden stars in an original 1940 full-cast production of the very first Paul Temple adventure Between 1938 and 1968 the exploits of amateur detective Paul Temple and his wife, Steve, enthralled generations of BBC radio listeners. Theirs was an exciting world of violence and glamour - car bombs and cocktail parties. In Paul and Steve's very first adventure, starring Bernard Braden as Paul with Peggy Hassard as Steve, a spate of jewel robberies in the Midlands has left the police baffled. They are the work of a shadowy criminal mastermind kwn only as The Knave of Diamonds. But who is the Knave? And can he be stopped? All but one episode of the original 1938 BBC production of Send for Paul Temple are lost from the archives. However, this complete recording of a 1940 production - made for Canadian radio and based on the original BBC radio scripts - was recently rediscovered in the national Library and Archives of Canada. Digitally restored, all six episodes are w available for the very first time. Two bonus features are also included: the sole surviving sixth episode of the original 1938 production, starring the original Paul Temple, Hugh Morton, and an unbroadcast interview with the longest-running Paul Temple actor, Peter Coke.
- Author BiographyFrancis Durbridge (1912 - 1998) was an English playwright and author. In 1938 he created the character Paul Temple, a crime novelist and detective. With Steve Trent, a Fleet Street journalist and later his wife, Temple solved numerous crimes in the glamorous world of the leisured middle classes, first on radio, then in films and, from 1969 to 1971, in a television series. In addition to the Paul Temple series, Durbridge wrote other mysteries for radio and television, many of which were also produced for German and Italian television and radio. Durbridge also forged a successful career as a writer for the stage with seven plays, the last of which, Sweet Revenge, was written in 1991. He also wrote 43 novels, many of which were adapted from his scripts, sometimes with the help of others.
- Author(s)Francis Durbridge
- PublisherBBC Audio, A Division Of Random House
- Date of Publication16/04/2015
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBBC Physical Audio
- Weight203 g
- Width125 mm
- Height143 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Read byBernard Braden,Full Cast,Peggy Hassard
- Contained items statement4 Audio CDs
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time276
- Edition StatementWW
Save on Audio Books
- AU $16.32Trending at AU $20.57
- AU $89.47Trending at AU $97.51
- AU $30.20Trending at AU $37.61
- AU $27.59Trending at AU $32.43
- AU $21.05Trending at AU $28.91
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $51.07
- AU $39.98Trending at AU $46.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.