All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.38Trending at AU $49.05
- AU $74.43Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $22.11Trending at AU $22.83
- AU $35.52Trending at AU $38.73
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.87
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.49
About this product
- DescriptionMany children, especially those with autism-related problems, struggle with sensory integration. Christian is a 12-year-old who has suffered from over- and under-sensitivity issues since birth. Following his experiences as a young child, Chara and Chara relate Christian's painful reactions to touch and extreme sensitivity to temperature, ise, taste and texture. Through detection, diagsis, therapy and treatment, this book looks at the battles, frustrations and triumphs familiar to those with (or caring for those with) sensory integration difficulties. Sensory Smarts offers real solutions and hope, such as a sensory sensitivity scale, a behavioural rating chart and a list of helpful organizations. With much of the book written from the perspective of a child, and including rich illustrations, this book encourages children to work with adults in overcoming their sensory difficulties. Based on mainstream psychological theories, this book will be indispensable to those suffering from, or trying to raise awareness of, sensory problems in childhood.
- Author BiographyKathleen A. Chara, Ph.D. has a doctorate in family psychology, teaches full-time for Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia, and maintains a private psychological practice. She has run a programme for abused women, worked with children in psychiatric settings, and has been a licensed mental health counselor, specializing in children's issues, since 1991. Paul J. Chara, Jr., Ph.D. has a doctorate in general-experimental psychology, and is a professor at the University of Northwestern in St. Paul, Minnesota. He has published numerous scholarly articles, presented dozens of public lectures, and authored several books. His diverse research interests include military history, neuroscience, and spirituality. J.M. Berns (illustrator) has extensive experience in illustrating books, ranging from college texts to children's books.
- Author(s)Kathleen A. Chara,Paul J. Chara
- PublisherJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Date of Publication30/06/2004
- SubjectReference & Home Learning
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight217 g
- Width173 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine6 mm
- Illustrator(s)Joel M. Berns
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.