All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe vast savannas and great migrations of the Serengeti conjure impressions of a harmonious and balanced ecosystem. But in reality, the history of the Serengeti is rife with battles between human and n-human nature. Serengeti IV, the latest installment in a long-standing series on the region's ecology and biodiversity, explores our species' role as a source of both discord and balance in Serengeti ecosystem dynamics. Through chapters charting the complexities of infectious disease transmission across populations, agricultural expansion, and the many challenges of managing this ecosystem today, this book shows how the people and landscapes surrounding crucial protected areas like Serengeti National Park can and must contribute to Serengeti conservation. In order to succeed, conservation efforts must also focus on the welfare of indigeus peoples, allowing them both to sustain their agricultural practices and benefit from the natural resources provided by protected areas - an undertaking that will require the strengthening of government and education systems and, as such, will present one of the greatest conservation challenges of the next century.
- Author BiographyAnthony R. E. Sinclair is professor emeritus of zoology at the University of British Columbia and coeditor of Serengeti I, II, and III. He lives in Richmond, BC. Kristine L. Metzger is a landscape ecologist working for the US Fish and Wildlife Service in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Simon A. R. Mduma is director of the Tanzania Wildlife Research Institute, Tanzania, and coeditor of Serengeti III. John M. Fryxell is professor of integrative biology at the University of Guelph and coeditor of Serengeti III.
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication19/05/2015
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Note84 halftones, 100 line drawings, 66 tables
- Weight1134 g
- Width90 mm
- Height60 mm
- Spine41 mm
- Edited byAnthony R. E. Sinclair,John M. Fryxell,Kristine L. Metzger,Simon A.R. Mduma
Explore Buying Guides
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.23
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.11
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.05
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.87
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.29
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.89
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.02
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.