All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThey would be better dead, they said, than set adrift upon the world. But set adrift they were - thousands of them, their communities destroyed, their homes demolished and burned. Such were the Sutherland Clearances, an extraordinary episode, involving the deliberate depopulation of much of a Scottish county. What was done in the course of that episode was planned and carried out by a small group of men and one woman. Most of those involved wrote a great deal about their actions, intentions and feelings, and much of it has been preserved. There are equivalent collections of material from those whose communities ceased to exist. Their feelings and fears are harder to access, but they are by means irrecoverable. In this book James Hunter tells the story of the Sutherland Clearances. His researches took him to archives in Scotland, England and Canada, to the w deserted straths of Sutherland, to the frozen shores of Hudson Bay. The result is a gripping, moving, definitive account of a people's struggle for survival in the face of tragedy and disaster which includes experiences which have t featured in any previous such account.
- Author BiographyJames Hunter is Emeritus Professor of History at the University of the Highlands and Islands and was its first Director of the Centre for History. The author of eleven books about the Highlands and Islands, he has also been active in the public life of the area.
- Author(s)James Hunter
- PublisherBirlinn General
- Date of Publication21/10/2015
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBirlinn Ltd
- Content Note16pp b/w plates
- Weight921 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine42 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.25
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.14
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $168.19
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.33
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $105.74
- AU $49.79Trending at AU $51.77
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.