All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $13.90Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.55
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.18
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.07
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.85
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $79.99
About this product
- DescriptionThough discussing sexual material in vels aimed at the young adult market may make some individuals blush, the authors of such fiction often seek to represent a very real component in the lives of many teens. Unfortunately, authentic and teen-relatable information on healthy adolescent sexuality is t readily available, and sex education classes have had a minimal effect on positive sexual identity development. Consequently, young adult literature that contains sexual elements can play a critical role in addressing the questions and concerns of teens. In Sexual Content in Young Adult Fiction: Reading between the Sheets, Bryan Gillis and Joanna Simpson examine sexual material in canical, historical, dystopian, romantic, and realistic contemporary fiction for teens. The authors begin with an exploration of sexual identity development and discuss the constructive influence that realistic representations of teen sexual behavior can have on that development. The authors provide a myriad of texts and examples that will help parents, teachers, and librarians better understand the positive role that sexual content in YA fiction can play in the socio-emotional and academic development of adolescents. The book concludes with an overview and analysis of censorship in the world of young adult fiction. In addition to providing a survey of sexual content in young adult literature, this book can help inspire adults to facilitate effective and responsible discussions about young adult fiction that contains sexual material. Featuring a vels cited and works cited bibliography, Sexual Content in Young Adult Fiction is an important resource that parents and educators will find particularly valuable.
- Author BiographyBryan Gillis is an associate professor of English Education and Literacy in the Department of Secondary and Middle Grades Education at Kennesaw State University. Gillis is the director of the Kennesaw State University Conference on Literature for Children and Young Adults and co-author of Chris Crutcher: A Stotan for Young Adults (Scarecrow, 2012). Joanna Simpson is a Program Director at Grand Canyon University in Phoenix, Arizona. Her research and writing are related to young adult literature, critical literacy, and gifted education.
- Author(s)Bryan Gillis,Joanna Simpson
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication10/02/2015
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleStudies in Young Adult Literature
- Series Part/Volume Number48
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRowman & Littlefield Publishers
- Weight367 g
- Width150 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.