All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJune 2017 marks the 50th anniversary of what many think is the greatest Beatles album. This book is a new way of telling the story of the album and is split into two distinct halves: the A-side is all about the Beatles, the music on the album, the recording process, how the disc was received at the time and how subsequently it has been ackwledged as one of the greatest albums ever recorded. The B-side looks at the state of the world in 1967, from the Summer of Love to anti-war protests, from the Six-day War to the death of Che Guevara, from the launch of Rolling Stone magazine to Jimi Hendrix's first UK tour as a solo artist - and much more. Fascinating photographs and text build up a complete picture of the world as it was when one of the most famous albums of all time was released. This book recaptures all the excitement surrounding the release of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - often lauded as the most popular Beatles album - while also assessing the impact it had on the world at the time and subsequently. The book celebrates a time when a pop album release was a hugely significant event in a year of global turmoil, when the world changed in ways that still affect us today. Those who were there will reminisce fondly and those who weren't will discover what happened in the year a rock 'n' roll album changed the world ...forever.
- Author BiographyBrian Southall began writing about music in the 1960s on a local newspaper before graduating to the likes of Melody Maker and Disc. From there he pursued a 30-year career in the record business with A&M, Tamla Motown, EMI (where he was Head of Press and dealt with the Beatles' solo projects) and Warner Music. His first book - the official history of Abbey Road Studios - was published in 1982 and he also wrote Northern Songs - the story of the Beatles' music publishing empire, Beatles Memorabilia: The Julian Lennon Collection; Jimi Hendrix: Made In England, The Rise and Fall of EMI Records, Sex Pistols: 90 Days at EMI and more.
- Author(s)Brian Southall
- PublisherHachette Australia
- Date of Publication28/03/2017
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationSydney
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- First Published2017
- ImprintHachette Australia
- Content NoteFull colour illustrated
- Weight300 g
Save on Textbooks
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $37.71
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $58.40
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.22
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.32
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $39.61
- AU $11.25Trending at AU $14.70
- AU $25.62Trending at AU $32.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.