Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.36Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $70.18Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $73.74Trending at AU $76.54
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $17.67Trending at AU $23.05
About this product
- DescriptionUnderstanding and articulating the nature of war has challenged mankind from the beginning. Although the character of war continues to evolve with societal change, it never goes beyond its most basic tenant, the use of force to solve political problems. Virtually all Western societies have adopted Carl Von Clausewitz's premise that war is a continuation of politics by other means; hence, it is accepted in democratic nations that the military will be subservient to duly elected political leaders. Since ultimate accountability rests with civilian leadership, the universal challenge has always been to determine the extent to where legitimate political intervention in military affairs becomes counterproductive political interference. This premise, however, assumes that the role of the military can easily be separated and compartmentalized from grand strategic goals. History abounds with examples of governments using military force to achieve political aims in a manner that does t truly constitute the strategic nature of war. Terms such as Gun-Boat Diplomacy, Low-Intensity Conflict (LIC), Small Scale Contingencies (SSC) and Military Operations Other Than War (MOOTW) attempt to capture the nebulous region between peace and war where civilian authorities retain significant control of the military power used to achieve political purpose. In the past decade, techlogical invation, coupled with doctrinal change, has demonstrated that even limited war can be orchestrated much more precisely to achieve a desired political end-state.
- Author(s)Alan J Stephenson
- Date of Publication17/10/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Weight86 g
- Width189 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine2 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.