All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGrammar-school students in Shakespeare's time were taught to recognise the two hundred figures of speech that Renaissance scholars had derived from Latin and Greek sources (from amphibologia through omatopoeia to zeugma). This kwledge was one element in their thorough grounding in the liberal arts of logic, grammar, and rhetoric, kwn as the trivium. In Shakespeare's Use of the Arts of Language Sister Miriam Joseph writes: The extraordinary power, vitality, and richness of Shakespeare's language are due in part to his genius, in part to the fact that the unsettled linguistic forms of his age promoted to an unusual degree the spirit of creativeness, and in part to the theory of composition then prevailing ...The purpose of this study is to present to the modern reader the general theory of composition current in Shakespeare's England. The author then lays out those figures of speech in simple, understandable patterns and explains each one with examples from Shakespeare. Her analysis of his plays and poems illustrates that the Bard knew more about rhetoric than perhaps anyone else. Originally published in 1947, this book is a classic.
- Author BiographySister Miriam Joseph, CSC, was a member of the Sisters of the Holy Cross and a professor of English at Saint Mary's College from 1931 to 1960. She is the author of The Trivium: The Liberal Arts of Logic, Grammar, and Rhetoric, and many articles on Shakespeare and the trivium.
- Author(s)Sister Miriam Joseph
- PublisherPaul Dry Books, Inc
- Date of Publication01/09/2008
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPaul Dry Books, Inc
- Weight594 g
- Width230 mm
- Height155 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.88
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.15
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $15.66
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.21
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.08
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.20
- AU $30.32Trending at AU $31.91
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.